Thursday 12 January 2012

Day of the dead




~~

Even though I am not Mexican, and do not celebrate 'Day of the Dead' I just thought the title suited the images! Today I took a trip down with school to the Tate Britain and the Tate Modern to find inspiration for our new course that we are doing. I absolutely love going to the Tate because their shops sell absolutely stunning books! I was planning on buying a magazine but I felt that getting a book may be a better decision, along with various postcards and a really lovely poster. 
So the book I bought was called 'The Book of Skulls' and at first I thought it might be a little bit dark and unusual, but it is so beautiful and was such a great buy all it is, is a collection of skulls that had been displayed as sculptures, for example Damien Hirst £50 million skull, or be a tattoo, even an illustration!  Basically just how skulls have bcome an iconic symbol over the years. The front cover (above) also has inspired me to start to use multiple elements within my illustrations. Just going to the art galleries has inspired me! So I'm going to spend the rest of my evening drawing and thinking of new ways to make my new sketchbook look raad. 
The only other reason I mention 'Day of the Dead' is the cover reminds me of the skeleton dolls you can buy and how the makeup looks when people dress up!

















x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your banter! I look forward to reading it!


Piece done by Amy Ross